Dr. Webb made a St. James Cake recently and thought it was wonderful. It can be made totally gluten free and the protein from the eggs and almonds balances out the sugar lowering the net carbs. We are sure you will enjoy it as well.
St. James Cake
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup premium quality raw almonds (1)
- Zest of 1 lemon (optional)
- ½ tsp cinnamon (optional)
- Icing sugar for topping
- Butter and flour for the tin
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9” cake pan.
- Grind the almonds, or use almond meal. Set aside.
- Mix sugar, almond meal and the spices in large bowl. Set aside.
- Separate eggs reserving yolks and beat whites until stiff peaks form. (For a denser cake simply beat eggs and fold into dry ingredients.)
- Slightly beat yolks and gently fold egg whites and yolks together.
- Add eggs to dry ingredients, mix well.
- Pour the mixture into prepared pan and smooth the surface with a spatula.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes. When a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean, your cake is done. Remove to rack to cool.
- Once cool, place on serving platter and give a generous sprinkling of powdered sugar. Enjoy!
(1) If you have the tools, I advise you grind your own raw almonds, the result is better flavor and moisture.
Some people prefer to lightly roast the almonds before grinding.
Usually blanched almonds are used, but you can leave a small amount of almonds raw, the skins give a peculiar crunch to the cake.
(2) This is important: the yolks have to be mixed with the egg whites. Do not ever add the yolks to the mixture of almonds and sugar before adding the whipped egg whites or you’ll end up with a thick paste almost impossible to mix with the whites. I’m telling you from experience.
(3) If you want the cake to be gluten-free sprinkle the tin with cornstarch or some other gluten-free flour instead of all-purpose flour.
The original recipe can be found here.
Indulgence Is Fine...If You Know the Secret
All information contained within this site is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any health problem, nor is it intended to replace the advice of a qualified medical practitioner, health practitioner, or fitness professional. No action should be taken solely on the contents of this website. Always consult your physician or qualified health professional on any matters regarding your health or on any opinions expressed within this website. The information provided