Here is a great tasting stuffing recipe that uses roasted vegetables instead of the traditional bread or some bread substitute. With the lower calories, fat and carbs this stuffing will leave your taste buds happy without inducing a carb coma.
4 cups cauliflower, chopped
1 cup butternut squash
1 cup yellow onion, chopped
10 oz. mushrooms, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 pat butter
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (from 4-6 sprigs)
2 sprigs fresh sage (10-12 leaves), chopped
½ cup walnuts or pecans toasted (optional)
1 cup cooked sausage crumbles (optional)
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Arrange the chopped cauliflower, sweet potato and onion in a single layer on the lined baking sheets. Roast both pans of vegetables at 400F for about 30 minutes, or until tender.
- Stir the vegetables half-way through the cooking time to prevent burning.
- Remove vegetables from oven as they become done.
- While the vegetables are roasting, melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté the garlic for 30 seconds, then add in the mushrooms and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until tender.
- Transfer the roasted vegetables and sautéed mushroom mixture to a large food processor. Add in the fresh thyme and chopped sage. Pulse the vegetable mixture a few times leaving it chunky in texture. If you do not have a food processor you can simply chop the vegetables coarsely with a large knife and transfer to a bowl.
- Stir in nuts and or sausage crumbles.
- Salt and pepper to taste, and serve warm!
Recipe adapted from grain free stuffing recipe by:
Detoxinista at http://detoxinista.com/2012/11/grain-free-stuffing-low-carb-low-fat/
All information contained within this site is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any health problem, nor is it intended to replace the advice of a qualified medical practitioner, health practitioner, or fitness professional. No action should be taken solely on the contents of this website. Always consult your physician or qualified health professional on any matters regarding your health or on any opinions expressed within this website. The information provided within this website is believed to be accurate based on the best judgment of the authors but the reader is responsible for consulting with their own health professional on any matters raised within. We do not assume any liability for the information contained within this website, be it direct, indirect, consequential, special, exemplary, or otherwise.